Sunday, July 26, 2009

Body Mass Index - Obesity in Taiwan.

In America:

BMI Categories (in KG/M^2):
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Try this BMI calculator: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

My BMI is 29.7. I weight about 184 pounds. By Taiwanese (Chinese BMI / Asian BMI) standards: I should ideally be below 23.5 BMI - I should aim for 145 pounds. Sounds like a big stretch for me.

I learned that in Taiwan Overweight is considered 23.5 - from a reputable source in Taiwan - a relative who specializes in obesity medicine here in Taipei Taiwan. He told me that like the rest of the world, obesity is a growing problem in Taiwan, and he remains busy. His #1 recommendation is diet control. Furthermore, for Obesity, BMI for Taiwanese/Chinese/Asians is about 26 or 27 instead of BMI of 30 for obesity.

Here's a Singapore Study on BMI adjustments for the Asian population: http://www.halls.md/bmi/singapore.htm. It actually states using BMI of 21 as a cutoff for "overweight" instead of 25!!! That's quite a bit lower than 23 even as I had mentioned above in my personal interview conversation with an obesity expert in Taiwan. Thus I should weigh 130 lbs. That's a little over 50 lbs that I need to lose.

Here's a picture(s) of what I look like: Calvin Lee - I have a long way to go before I get to 130 lbs!!




Disclaimer: This website is not intended to create a physician patient relationship. There is no specific targeted medical advice here. Please see your physician in person. This disclaimer also applies to our other websites with generalized information: Plastic Surgery Modesto CA, Plastic Surgery Modesto, Cosmetic Surgery, Acupuncture Modesto, Veins Modesto, How to Choose a Plastic Surgeon, Breast Augmentation FAQ, Tummy Tuck FAQ

No comments:

Post a Comment